[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My blog from Iraq

Swiss Cheezhead

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well done Jake. :wacko:

Just read the whole thing & I must admit it put a lump in my throat more than once. I love seeing the personal perspective behind the story, without the hindrance of personal or political opinion. Hopefully at some point you can have a more open forum to include that perspective because, while the news report is very well done, it doesn't come close to making the reader feel what our servicemen are truly going through. In particular, I think it would be a great service to both American & Iraqi readers to see just how much the servicemen & women care about the Iraqi's well-being and the lengths they go to despite all the negativity surrounding the affair. You certainly show that well through your blog.

Godspeed my friend. I look forward to your next entry. :D

Jake,

Great writing. I leave in 3 weeks, and for the first time will be leaving family behind. I got married, have a step daughter and a 6 week old baby boy.

Stay safe in mortar-itaville. I was in the transient billets one morning about 14 months ago, and they hit the porta jon.

I'll be at BIAP and Taji, but If I make it up to Balad I'll look you up.

Thanks again for the insight inside the wire. I'll be following it.

Dan Cooke

SSG(P), USA

Damn buddy.......I guess it's been a few months since I talked to you last, because I don't remember you telling me you were being deployed. Anyway, stay safe and get home!!

Thanks for all the kind words, y'all -- it means a lot. :wacko:

Met you in Vegas last year. I'm looking forward to meeting you once again, whether it be in Vegas or elsewhere. Keep up the good work and God Bless! :D And one more thing..... a hugh THANK YOU! You can pass that on to the troops if you would.

ETA: I'm gonna make sure we all do a toast to you and yours in Vegas this year.

Edited by jaxfactor

Jake,

Great writing. I leave in 3 weeks, and for the first time will be leaving family behind. I got married, have a step daughter and a 6 week old baby boy.

Stay safe in mortar-itaville. I was in the transient billets one morning about 14 months ago, and they hit the porta jon.

I'll be at BIAP and Taji, but If I make it up to Balad I'll look you up.

Thanks again for the insight inside the wire. I'll be following it.

Dan Cooke

SSG(P), USA

Thanks to both of you guys for your service.

I hope you both know how much this means to a lot of people here. We don't care the reasons why you are there, we just care that YOU are there for US.

My family will always be indebted to you and your fellow servicemen and women for everything you sacrifice. I hope my life will live up to those standards.

Peace and prayers to you. :wacko:

Jake, what was it, 3, 4 years ago I told you that your talent for writing was well, pretty freakin good? It's better than that. You never told me you got out of the weather gig... I had no clue.

I know how you feel to some extent. I'm ex-USAF, Vietnam era vet, but what was that compared to what the Marines, Army and Navy special forces did, not to mention the AF pilots, who's jets nav systems I fixed that I should carry the same designation as them? I was never in the kind of danger they were in. I carry some guilt to this day about that. But, the truth is, there are always many many more soldiers who support those guys who put it all on the line... and the job is no less important, although guys like us always feel the lesser for it. I figure when we serve, we all pay a price, some greater than others. some less, but we served. Luck, fate or God put us where we where and are. You, so far as I can tell, are serving us proud. God speed, get home safely.... and yer on the clock in Redraft Wars. Make a pick. :wacko:

I carry some guilt to this day about that. But, the truth is, there are always many many more soldiers who support those guys who put it all on the line... and the job is no less important, although guys like us always feel the lesser for it. I figure when we serve, we all pay a price, some greater than others. some less, but we served. Luck, fate or God put us where we where and are. You, so far as I can tell, are serving us proud. God speed, get home safely.

Whatever the role, anyone who serves our country and does so with pride & dedication deserves our respect.The last thing I would hope anyone would feel is guilt for doing their part.

Whatever the role, anyone who serves our country and does so with pride & dedication deserves our respect.The last thing I would hope anyone would feel is guilt for doing their part.

I second this. Not everyone can be 11B (Infantryman), nor should everyone be. Every member of the military has their job to do, our military couldn't function properly if those jobs weren't done. You signed on the dotted line, served your country with honor and returned to tell the tale. Basically, you did what was asked of you. For this I thank you.

Thanks to both of you guys for your service.

I hope you both know how much this means to a lot of people here. We don't care the reasons why you are there, we just care that YOU are there for US.

My family will always be indebted to you and your fellow servicemen and women for everything you sacrifice. I hope my life will live up to those standards.

Peace and prayers to you. :wacko:

Well said as always Chief.

+google

I never deployed leaving a wife and kids behind but some of my friends did and I saw firsthand how tough it was for them. Back then ('72-'76) there was no communication readily available to keep in touch. Mail call was everything and letters were read and reread many times. Keep up the great job with the blog. Sleep every chance you get. Get a good tan. Come home safe.

And thanks for believing in something bigger than yourself. We all salute you. :wacko:

I ran into a navy guy coming out of a business on my route. He asked me to wait for a few seconds while he looked for a letter to mail. He then thanked me for my service and I said, "no, it's me that needs to thank you for your service". Every time I see a serviceman I do my best to thank him/her.

• 4 weeks later...

Dude you almost had me in tears twice. Thanks for doing what you do.

I was waiting for an shuttle bus yesterday morning to take me from one terminal to another to go get my car. Sitting at the bus stop were two Army Rangers. After thanking them from their services we got to talking. They had been in both Iraq and Afghanistan. They stated that for the most part the Iraqi people really like us and appreciate what we are doing. They also noted that the people of Afghanistan really hate us. One was telling a story about another soldier who was drinking water during Ramadan. An Afghan shot the soldier for drinking the water. One of the Rangers is scheduled to come home for good if he isn't extended, though he thinks he has a 50% chance of being extended. He stated that in the last four years he had spent about a cumulative total of about 1 year with his wife and kid. I just couldn't imagine that.

• 7 months later...

Hey, y'all -- I've been reminded a couple of times now that I haven't updated anybody on how things are now that I'm back home, so here goes...

Things are awesome. Our new baby -- Andre -- is a healthy 2.5-month-old now, and he smiles just about every time we make eye contact with him. Couldn't ask for a better baby, and his big brother, Jonas, now 2.5 years old, couldn't be a better big brother.

I'm currently looking for a different job opportunity within the Air Force public affairs career field and hoping that I don't get sent back downrange anytime soon. I'd like to at least enjoy my boys' young years first.

All that said, I should also post the new link to all the blogs I wrote: http://azstarnet.com/news/blogs/indirect-fire/ (the newspaper website completely overhauled while I was gone, so the blogs migrated...and lost all the reader comments :wacko:)

Also, I recently found out that one of the stories I wrote in Iraq was named the Air Force News Article of the Year; it'll now go compete against the other services' top stories for DOD story of the year, etc. I am proud. In case you're curious, I wrote a blog about that story here, and the story itself is here.

Thanks for all your kind words and support. The deployment would have been much less tolerable without The Huddle community always at hand.

:tup: