[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've got a failry large chekck, what should I do

Perchoutofwater

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with the check given the circumstances below.

• Party down with hookers and blow
    • The wife has been wanting some new wood floors.
    • Tear it up.

Doesn't matter to anyone as long as it doesn't get cashed. It probably has a three to six month validity anyway.

Hey, if he doesn't want to take the wife out for a nice dinner and an overnighter that is between him and the wife. I was just suggesting.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fess up. You REALLY posted this to give us all a subtle reminder that you can afford a watch expensive enough that you could sell it and install wood floors in an entire house.

well, given that he will write off the cost of the new floors as a business expense, it probably doesn't work out to be as expensive as it sounds

well, given that he will write off the cost of the new floors as a business expense, it probably doesn't work out to be as expensive as it sounds

And the labor is labor I would have been paying anyway, and I'd rather pay the guy to work on my house than to pay him to sit at home or work on his house. Plus I probably get a little bit better deal than the average home owner on the materials as well.

I had a pretty nice watch with a life time warranty break. I took it back to the dealer, who in turn shipped it to the manufacturer. Now the manufacturer shipped it directly back to me instead of the dealer like they were supposed to. Only thing is two weeks after it shipped it still had not arrived at my house. The dealer I bought the watch from is calling me several times asking if it has arrived. I tell her no, still hasn't arrived. She calls me back a week later telling me she is going to get the manufacturer to send them a check for the full retail price of the watch and that I can just come and pick up a new one. I say OK, sounds good, what ever. She calls me back again three days later saying that the manufacture has agreed to send the check. Here is the catch, the day before that my watch mysteriously shows up in the mail, so I tell her the watch shows up, so I want be coming to pick out a new watch. So, I got my watch back three weeks later than I should have, but I'm happy it is working again. Now fast forward two more weeks to yesterday afternoon. My wife opens the mail and there is a check from American Warranty Services or something like that. These people just continue to screw up. So, what do you do with that check.

Was the watch sent back to you via certified mail? Did you or anyone else sign for delivery? If not, why did you open your trap, you self-righteous fool? Once you opened your mouth, the safest (in other words, smartest) thing to do is NOT to cash/deposit the check.

Now everytime you look at your watch, you will say "I'm out that damn $$$$$!!!" You won't even be able to read the time anymore. You'll just look at your watch in order to give yourself a quick kick in the arse.

I'm sure if you got both the watch and the new floor(s), you wouldn't have that spectre hanging over you for any length of "time".

I'd call the entity that sent the check to you, inform them that you got your watch back, and ask them how they want you to handle the check.
I voted for tear it up, but this is the best advice. Tearing it up doesn't necessarily mean that the warranty company gets it back. Here in Indiana for instance, the law says that unclaimed property or money goes to a state fund waiting for you to claim it. If you didn't cash the check, the warranty company just sends the check to the state with your name and last known address and it just sits there, earning the state interest. You don't get the money (unless you claim it), but so is the insurance company.