[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So I open my electric bill...

matt770

$407.56!!!?!?!?!?!!!!?!?! :lol::tup::lol::wacko::lol::tup:

Sure, we had a heat wave and we've been running the air a lot, but we run it a lot every summer and the most it's ever been was $216 last summer. Last month it was $161.

The rate has not changed since last month but they are saying we used more than double the kilowatts over last month. I'm on eternal hold with Delmarva now, what are the odds they are able to find the problem and fix it? There is no way in hell we used that much electricity, but I bet they are just going to tell me tough titties.

I have already enrolled in budget billing, but I need to figure out how this happened so we don't get another shocker next month.

Make sure you were credited with your last payment. Read the meter yourself and compare it to the bill. See if the bill is an estimate or actual reading. Turn off everything in the house and see if the meter is still running.

This was my first thought, Matt.

but I bet they are just going to tell me tough titties.

When I built in 2006, they put the wrong house under my account. My first 6 months or so of bills were like $100. I thought my crappy builder had really built a tight house and it was great. Of course, I get a call from them when they discovered their mistake and I owed well over a grand. You ever had a co-op electric customer service tell you "tough titties"? Yeah, it sucks. But it didn't suck as much as when I realized my builder hadn't paid his fair share when he turned the power on months before I closed.

You don't get a discount on your electric bill. Ain't monopolies great?

National average is 10 cents a kWH. You are probably higher than that in the Northeast. Take a look at your lights and replace as many as you can with low wattage CFLs (DO NOT BUY THESE AT A GROCERY STORE). Make sure you keep your computers, lights, TVs, and other electronics off when they are not in use. You can also buy a kill a watt meter (maybe $25) to see how much wattage different appliances are pulling. If your electrical bill is high enough it might make more fiscal sense to replace an old fridge (or beer fridge) than it is to just keep the same one because the ROI is fairly quick. Sometimes switching some appliances with gas models can also help a lot (water heaters, dryers). Good luck.

My latest electric bill was almost $400, and we had the coolest June in many a year and were on vacation one week of the month. I called the gas & electric company and gave the meter reading to the guy on the phone. The ESTIMATED meter reading they had on my bill was drastically more. I got a new bill for $190.

I'm going to do my own meter reading on the first and last day of every month from now on. I don't trust them anymore.

I think I have probably paid those clowns thousands of dollars in overcharges!! :wacko: