[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hug you spouce, kids, family, friends, etc.

Duchess Jack

A friend of mine. He was a madman growing up. The bully who beat up the bullies. He was a guy who would do anything for you except stop making you laugh. For all the crazy that he and I had been through over the years and he and others had been through over the years - this is not how I expect him to go.

A Hunterdon County man has died of injuries suffered after a brake drum crashed through the windshield of the vehicle he was driving on Interstate 78, according to the Lehigh County Coroner's Office.

Scott Sabo, 37, of Amsterdam Road in Holland Township, was pronounced dead at 11:10 this morning at St. Luke's Hospital, Fountain Hill. Lehigh County Deputy Coroner Paul Hoffman said the cause of death was head injuries, and the manner was ruled an accident.

Attempts to contact Sabo's family were unsuccessful this afternoon.

Sabo was driving about 5:15 p.m. on Interstate 78 East in Greenwich Township when a brake drum, a wheel component, crashed through the windshield of his van and struck him in the head.

The accident also left two passengers with minor injuries.

The passengers, Rigoberto Matute, 22, and Javier Zepeda, 35, both of Flemington, were able to grab the steering wheel and bring the vehicle safely to the side of the road, according to acting Lt. Stephen Jones, a New Jersey State Police spokesman.

Authorities have not identified the vehicle from which the brake drum came, but Jones said it appears to have come from a large commercial vehicle.

The brake drum was recovered from the crash, Jones said, and will be used to try to piece together its origin.

"They'll be examining it forensically to see if there's any kind of evidence that will point exactly where this came from," Jones said.

Jones would not speculate on the likelihood of finding the brake drum's source.

"I can tell you we're exercising all of our vocational means to put this together. We're not holding anyone to blame," Jones said.

Although the randomness of such an incident makes it hard to avoid, Jones said driver awareness is key to staying safe on the highway.

"You're going to improve your chances," Jones said. "You can increase your reaction time. That's basically the key to improving your odds."

Thanks everyone. Just another reminder to live for today and hug early and often. You don't need to be dangerous or sick, subject to bad weather or somebody else being dangerous. The folk you love can be taken at any moment.

Thanks everyone. Just another reminder to live for today and hug early and often. You don't need to be dangerous or sick, subject to bad weather or somebody else being dangerous. The folk you love can be taken at any moment.

Amen.

Sorry for your loss. You're absolutely right... Even if we do everything humanly possible, to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe, we are still very vulnerable... to nature (think of all of the recent tragedies, involving tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.), and in this case, a freak and unbelievably unlikely accident. With a little one at home (she turns 8 months on Friday), that thought alone makes me sick, at times. It has definitely changed the way I live, or moreso the way I think about every-day events (such as simply driving to/from work).

Never take tomorrow for granted. :wacko:

Wow. Horrible story. Sorry for your loss, DJ.

Just to speculate, this didn't come off of the brake system of a moving vehicle or the other party would be missing the entire wheel and at a complete stop. I'd guess somebody hauling junk without properly securing their load, hitting a bump and losing the drum. Sounds like someone's negligence cost this man his life.

Sorry to hear.

Road debris and unsecured loads are very dangerous. In Dallas County, you are encouraged to call 911 for hazardous road debris. Technically if you are by yourself, I suppose you need to exit the freeway, pull over, remember where it was you saw the debris and then call. Last time we drove over to Ft. Worth I had my wife call about a large piece of sheet metal on I-30.

Well said. Tragic and very sorry for your loss.

Good god, man, that's horrible. Sorry to hear this...

I had a tire and rim come across 7 lanes and hit the front end of my truck about 8 months ago, crazy stuff happens out there.