[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL draft talk official thread

Big John

The Bears blew it! :tdown: It's a huge reach! The pick should have been Chander Jones! :kicksrock:

McClellin is the second coming of Dan Bauzin. Book it. :yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

I don't see the comparison. I see a player who could actually fit their scheme really well. Bauzin was a terrible pick. Are you looking at their size and basically making that assumption? The kid looks like a player to me. I love his leverage. Since he switched to a new helmet, he has no concussion problems, so I see that comment as a swipe more than anything.

He's going to be as fast, if not faster than most of their D starters right now. The real question is if they limit him just to DLine, or can they find a way to utilize his size/speed to handle TE's as well.

I think that he was rising on the boards quickly because he is more than one dimensional for a D in the NFL, and this pick prompted NE to make their move for the kid from Syracuse.

Just my 2 cents.

what a terrible night for the denver broncos. they move down from 25 to 36, and as far as I can tell all they got out of it was pick 101 in the 4th round. all their other picks are the same.

according to "the chart", the 101 pick is worth 96 points. the dropoff from 25 to 36 is 180 points. they basically flushed the value of a 4th round pick down the toilet. looks like they came in with a crappy gameplan and panicked. :tdown:

They made two trades. The first was from 25 to 31, which got them a 4th from the Patriots, and from 31 to 36, which got them another 4th from TB. This is a total of 2 fourth rounders for a chart value of 142 points. 2 fourths will play a lot of minutes for Denver and give them the cushion to afford to take a QB to groom behind Manning.

Rumour is Weeden to CLE. Dumb move IMO. McCoy can work given some actual weapons. Take best WR here.

As a CLE fan I agree. I'm also not that impressed with Weeden, and have concerns about him as a future long term starter with his age (even without the extra 5-7 of playing football at some level, he'll be nearly 40 in 10 years, instead of early 30s like most rookies).

I also think it was a reach, and there's a decent chance he'll be there at 2.05 (15 picks later).

Oh well going to trust the deciders for now and hope it works out.

PS Trading up to 3 for Richardson was ok, better than not doing it and missing on that talent, but I think the other trade offers with MIN were smok screens, because they really wanted Kalil and trading down beyond 1.04 wasn't going to make that a certainty.

They made two trades. The first was from 25 to 31, which got them a 4th from the Patriots, and from 31 to 36, which got them another 4th from TB. This is a total of 2 fourth rounders for a chart value of 142 points. 2 fourths will play a lot of minutes for Denver and give them the cushion to afford to take a QB to groom behind Manning.

They made two trades, but they didn't get two additonal fourth rounders in the deals. They got NE's 1st (31) and 4th for trading down from their 1st (25); and then traded the 1st and 4th acquired from NE for TB's 2nd (36) and 4th. In doing so, they lost the ability to draft Hightower as their starting MLB for the next 12 years, and then Martin, who would have been a dynamic starting RB for the next 7/8 years. All to end up with TB's 4th rounder as the only additional pick.

That's a terrible job of trading down. There's no other way to see it. Elway got used like a rented mule and this reminds me of DEN passing on Orakpo to draft Moreno.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Recap of Denver's evening:

http://www.denverpos...out-first-round

Even an advanced mathematician would have troubling figuring the math to the Broncos' day.

The Broncos first traded with New England to move back from No. 25 to No. 31, then traded with Tampa Bay to move back from No. 31 to No. 36.

The Broncos got the No. 126 pick in the fourth round from New England, then flipped that No. 126 pick to Tampa Bay in exchange for the No. 101 overall selection in the fourth round. Got it? In other words the Broncos subtracted 11 spots — going from No. 25 to 36 — in order to add the No. 101 pick.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

They made two trades, but they didn't get two additonal fourth rounders in the deals. They got NE's 1st (31) and 4th for trading down from their 1st (25); and then traded the 1st and 4th acquired from NE for TB's 2nd (36) and 4th.

That's a terrible job of trading down. There's no other way to see it.

My bad, I mis-read the second trade. It's still better than taking a 2nd round talent and getting nothing out of it though, and even better they might get a "bargain" like Cordy Glenn or Upshaw in the second and get the 4th for "free". I don't follow Denver's needs, is there someone compelling they missed out on as a result of this?

I don't follow Denver's needs, is there someone compelling they missed out on as a result of this?

Read the edit above. And saying the trade was okay because they might have drafted 2nd round talent with the 25th pick doesn't excuse Elway and Xanders getting bent over like they did.

i'm really surprised that Cordy Glenn didn't go in the 1st round. As a Penn State fan, I think that Devon Still will be an absolute steal for whoever nabs him.

As a CLE fan I agree. I'm also not that impressed with Weeden, and have concerns about him as a future long term starter with his age (even without the extra 5-7 of playing football at some level, he'll be nearly 40 in 10 years, instead of early 30s like most rookies).

I also think it was a reach, and there's a decent chance he'll be there at 2.05 (15 picks later).

PS Trading up to 3 for Richardson was ok, better than not doing it and missing on that talent, but I think the other trade offers with MIN were smok screens, because they really wanted Kalil and trading down beyond 1.04 wasn't going to make that a certainty.

Here ya on Weeden. Really wanted to wait until 37 or just go all in on McCoy. The trade threat for TRich was real, though. TB wanted him and proved it with their trade up to get Doug Martin at the bottom of the first round. That's the deal i was most worried about: Bucs leapfrog Browns to get TRich and Vikes know we ain't taking another left tackle. No risk to them. I'm actually surprised they didn't make that move, but obviously they weren't dangling a 3rd or the Vikes would have taken it. Browns had extra picks in 4th & 5th so it was necessary. I'm just loving TRich in the Orange & Brown!

saying the trade was okay because they might

I didn't say it was ok, I said getting a 4th and drafting a guy is better than getting squat and drafting the same guy. I guess I'll take your word for it, but I see a bunch of very, very good players still available, players that they could easily have taken at 25 and had all the announcers and no small amount of fans saying "ooh, nice pick there". After seeing what Seattle did at 15 and Tampa Bay at 31this is particularly relevant.

They made two trades, but they didn't get two additonal fourth rounders in the deals. They got NE's 1st (31) and 4th for trading down from their 1st (25); and then traded the 1st and 4th acquired from NE for TB's 2nd (36) and 4th. In doing so, they lost the ability to draft Hightower as their starting MLB for the next 12 years, and then Martin, who would have been a dynamic starting RB for the next 7/8 years. All to end up with TB's 4th rounder as the only additional pick.

That's a terrible job of trading down. There's no other way to see it. Elway got used like a rented mule and this reminds me of DEN passing on Orakpo to draft Moreno.

Yep.

Way to go Peyton, you could have been tossing the rock to Fitz and Floyd :tup:

Agree on all counts, though I think Weeden has a good chance to be a very good QB, just the age thing is a bit much IMO for a young team like this. Re CLE/MIN that's hard to say how much was legit (TB etc) or if it was mostly MIN just starting brush fires. Well CLE didn't pay too much IMO so better safe than sorry. Richardson to them just made so much sense, IMO far more than anyone else.