[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Thursday night games

Chief Dick

New Thursday Night Games  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Thursday games starting so soon?

• Love it
    • Hate it
    • Puddy

First off, the NFL is prohibited from having games on Friday and Saturday night during the season because of high school and college football. So that would only leave Tuesday and Wednesday, and we've had NFL games on both those days under special circumstances the last few years.

So since MNF has been around for 40 years it is ok. You think people were complaining back in the early 70s "Man not another day with an NFL game, this dilutes the product." I guess in another 30-40 years people will accept the Thursday games as well.

I don't follow college football much, but were Thursday and Friday games around 20-30-50 years ago? Did college football fans complain when these games were added.

Is the NFL prohibited from playing games on those days, or is that just a well established and well honored agreement? I always thought it was the latter, but I do not know.

Being married it causes stress in the relationship. Being cheap it hurts to see the money go out for this and to suspect that it might presage a new economic model for the league in the distant future. I hope that will not be the case, but the owners sometimes consider incredibly stupid proposals.

I voted for "hate it" simply because I'm not into it. But I couldn't care less. Hell, by week 4-5, I'm blowing off most of the Sunday games unless the match-up is good and prefer to get out for a ride or something.

I figured something out not long ago. The games happen just the same whether we watch them or not, so I could care less if they have one on Thursday. And, if that means I get a chance to see my Niners play or something, I'll go find a bar and watch it.

Personally, I hate it. It's almost too much. The nice thing about not having it is you had time to breathe a little after the weekend and monday night games.

Now, it seems like a big cluster to cram waivers in, set line-ups, etc. Bah humbug.

As a football fan, I love having more nights to watch games. As a fantasy/NFL pool player, it complicates things quite a bit.

I work 1-9:30pm so I suppose it gives me something to watch (well, keep tabs of online) in the waning work hours.

I don't like that it shortens the week for players getting over injury, and forcing me to make lineup decisions well before Sunday's games.

I usually catch the last half of the fourth quarter at home for MNF, figure I'll do the same for Thursday night games.

Not a huge deal, but I can see how it'd tick some off.

I voted for "hate it" simply because I'm not into it. But I couldn't care less. Hell, by week 4-5, I'm blowing off most of the Sunday games unless the match-up is good and prefer to get out for a ride or something.

I figured something out not long ago. The games happen just the same whether we watch them or not, so I could care less if they have one on Thursday. And, if that means I get a chance to see my Niners play or something, I'll go find a bar and watch it.

The games certainly happen, but how can you possibly evaluate players if you're not watching the games? Maybe I'm just way more into it, but I watch every game possible every week through the playoffs. I have the ticket so I watch that 8 game matrix channel much of the time. Sure, with kids, I might take 20 minutes here and there to play with them or whatnot but I can't imagine not watching the games. Plus, after week 5 is when things get cooking and you really see what players are about. Watching is what makes me a perennial winner.

I work 1-9:30pm so I suppose it gives me something to watch (well, keep tabs of online) in the waning work hours.

I don't like that it shortens the week for players getting over injury, and forcing me to make lineup decisions well before Sunday's games.

I usually catch the last half of the fourth quarter at home for MNF, figure I'll do the same for Thursday night games.

Not a huge deal, but I can see how it'd tick some off.

good to see you darin. :tup:

I don't like for many of the reasons stated. Also if you have players on Thursday and they don't do well then you worry about the out come for 2 extra days. I'd rather feel bad all at once on Sunday instead of spreading it out through the week. Usually by Monday night you pretty much know haw things are going to turn out.I am sure sports bars are happy about it.

Absolutely love it. My wife and I have always had an understanding... made sure she even agreed to it before we were married. If NFL Football is on I have 100% say if I can watch it. Of course if it gets in the way of one of my kids events I go to my kids event, but that is my choice. I would not miss those for the world....maybe a Steelers SB though.....or playoff game or perhaps a key regular season game, maybe a home game, or if they are playing within a 6 hour drive from Charleston, SC.

Only downfall to this is I am a little limited in sports in the offseason, but thankfully she enjoys watching golf and college football.

No doubt the games happen whether we watch or not, but you're basically saying "meh I don't care to watch football games".

I watch every game that is on, that includes recording any extra Sunday afternoon games and watching if they are good (skipped IND-CHI this week), and also the NFL Replay games on NFLN (enjoyed seeing WAS-NO game yesterday).

And like Brentastic said, there is some benefit in watching the actual games and seeing players play. (Redzone channel and highlights only show you a little of what goes on, and don't give a complete picture of the teams/players.)

PS When the weather is nice early in the season I do get out Sunday and go for a hike in the park, or ride my motorcycle. DVR the games, come home and start catching up. Skipping commercials and some of the gaps between plays and I can fly through a game in 1-1.5 hours.

Hey I know my limits and like to have free time. Besides I don't see how people can handle watching a game.

Damnit Rice scored and that screwed me in league X. No wait, he's on my team in league Y so that's good.

After playing a season in too many leagues, I came to a realization. There wasn't a damn thing I could do/say/wish/pray about to affect the outcome of a game. Just watch the game. Enjoy the game. Worry about the fantasy score after the game.

The games certainly happen, but how can you possibly evaluate players if you're not watching the games? Maybe I'm just way more into it, but I watch every game possible every week through the playoffs. I have the ticket so I watch that 8 game matrix channel much of the time. Sure, with kids, I might take 20 minutes here and there to play with them or whatnot but I can't imagine not watching the games. Plus, after week 5 is when things get cooking and you really see what players are about. Watching is what makes me a perennial winner.

I win often enough that I'm net-up for my lifetime of FF. That's good enough for me. I realize that I can only get so much out of watching highlights and coming here and that I'd likely dominate more if I watched more live football. Oh well. That attitude may keep me from ascending to the Mt Rushmore of dudes who watch other dudes play, but I'm cool with that.

When I was in my 20s, I had plenty of time to ride or rock climb or whatever as much as I wanted and could still devote 9 hours on Sunday to getting stoned and watching football. Now, Sunday is one of only two days a week where I can do a long ride and, oh btw, we need to rip out the tomatoes and plant the fall veggies, and that deck isn't going to stain itself.

So, again, I've pretty much come to grips with the fact that I'm not going to be watching all the football that's there to be watched. Go ahead and add Thursday to that list. May as well be just another Sunday game that's not playing in my market for all I care.

I completely understand why people would feel both ways about this, but was simply saying, that because I don't even watch all the football that has been made available to me before the advent of the Thursday game, I'm neither really against it nor for it. However, I lean against it because the last thing I need is another excuse to sit my ass in front of the TV.

And, honestly, wished I'd voted Puddy.

I will say that one of the advantages to me about Football over basketball or baseball is that there are not games constantly going on and it is all neatly encased on Sunday. One national game MNF is fine too. THU stretches it out too much and WED was insane

DMD,

I hear you, for people like you in the business, a game every Thursday means more pressure to get your work done sooner.

But you probably don't have your wife/GF complaining that you watch too much football. I mean after all that is part of your job, no?

David's wife pays him to watch football and leave her alone. She'd vote for Tuesday night games to be added.

;)

There are so many diverse thoughts in these long threads it's hard to be objective. That the NFL on TV is spread all over the week is because most males love fantasy football and the games that spawn it. All games are are now available for those who want them but can be turned off or recorded for more convenient viewing by anyone who thinks it is too much or is overwelhmed in their FFL efforts. Lots of people have not much interest in network TV in general and any sports is a viable alternative. As for problems with a wife that refuses to watch or acknowledge the benefits and enjoyment of a good football game I would suggest another TV in another comfortable household area or, of course, the alternative to that is another wife. It took me 40 years but mine is now indoctrinated.

I love it. My sundays are typically tied up with trying to get crap done around the house. Thursday, Sunday, and Monday nights, when there is no daylight, are time when I can actually relax because I don't have the options to cut the grass or fix the roof. These national games are also a great opportunity to see somebody other than the damn Redskins or Steelers play.