[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Transaction/trade fees

bigmike4969

Does your league have fees for trades/pickups/etc?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Does your league have fees for trades/pickups/etc?

• Yes
    • No

So our league is thinking of starting up transaction fees. At the end of last year's season, during the trophy awarding/prize $ handout/rules meeting, there was a vote for a $5.00 fee per transaction (free agent pickup/trade). It was voted in favor for by the majority of the league then (not everyone who was in the league was present, but those who were were for it). Now, it seems that some people in the league are not so sure if they like it. We do have a couple people in the league who don't have a whole lot of cash and they may shy away from pickups/trades because they may feel it is too much. Then there are others who think that paying for transactions takes the fun out of the league. We are now voting on lowering the fees to $2 per transaction.

I was just wondering if your league has fees, and if so has there ever been issues like the ones I mentioned above, and what was done to resolve the problem.

None of my leagues currently do it, but I like the concept. Not only does it make people think a bit harder about a move, but it builds up the pot, or you could set aside the transaction money to use for beer and food at your next draft, or an in-season get-together, or for a trophy, etc.

So our league is thinking of starting up transaction fees. At the end of last year's season, during the trophy awarding/prize $ handout/rules meeting, there was a  vote for a $5.00 fee per transaction (free agent pickup/trade).  It was voted in favor for by the majority of the league then (not everyone who was in the league was present, but those who were were for it).  Now, it seems that some people in the league are not so sure if they like it.  We do have a couple people in the league who don't have a whole lot of cash and they may shy away from pickups/trades because they may feel it is too much. Then there are others who think that paying for transactions takes the fun out of the league.  We are now voting on lowering the fees to $2 per transaction.

I was just wondering if your league has fees, and if so has there ever been issues like the ones I mentioned above, and what was done to resolve the problem.

908787[/snapback]

No question, wouldn't be in a league without it. $2 a transaction, $5 a trade, per person.

Also, could put fees toward a season ending bash.

Edited by chiefjay

we abandoned it because it was too difficult for people to get their transaction money in. we just raised the entrance fee by $25 bucks a team...

908828[/snapback]

ditto this....

One year we implemented a $50 advance towards transaction fees.. but it was a pain having ot send out refund checks to teams not using all of it up, etc.

$5 per waiver move, $2 per player in a trade.

ALL trade and waiver money gets placed in the post-season party...mostly for two different sheets of squares. I square sheet is proportionate to how much money you have spent, and the second one is an even breakdown.

Everyone pretty much brings their own liquor of choice, and the eats are pretty easy as well. The squares are a pretty good idea...one of the few my local has.

Biggest problem is collecting. Not that people don't want to pay, but they rush to pay at the beginning of the year and the motivation is not really there at the end of the year. We now collect extra up front and return it if it is not used.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Used to be in a league that had them.

They were charging $5 per player traded. If you did say a 3 for 3 trade it was $15 for each team.

People are already reluctant to trade, and this really stifled it.

Couldn't convince them to drop the fee or to make it $5 per trade rather then charging for each player traded. That was the cheif reason I wound up withdrawing from the league. I wound up with something like $100 in transaction fees because of the injuries that hit my team and I was trying working the waiver wire.

My $$ league uses $5 per team for a trade and a bidding system for waiver/drops. Minimum bid is $3, if another team wants that player then high bid gets it(one bid only, no going back and forth). We tried first come-serve thing, but didn't work out as some of us don't have access every minute at work like some did to computer. Most pick-ups go in the $4-6 range. Adds to the pot.

The FFL league I played in about 11-12 years ago had fees of $5 for any transaction, whether a waiver pickup or trade. That was a little much, so a couple of us formed a new league, and we have always charged $1 per transaction. With trades, it is $1 per player involved, so if a 2-2 deal, each of the traders pays $2.

We used to have fees for pickups but it got pretty expensive for some. The ones that weren't really into the league or were out of contention early would just start bye week players or injured players rather then spend money. Collecting at the end was a chore as well and the league winner would have to wait until all fees were in before he got paid. We raised the league fees and gave everyone fake money for blind bidding purposes. There was no reason not to work the waivers or trade when it's technically free. This kept the league more competitive and all the owners happy. I really don't like the idea of paying to trade, pickups maybe at $2 each, but not to trade.

We used to have fees for pickups but it got pretty expensive for some.  The ones that weren't really into the league or were out of contention early would just start bye week players or injured players rather then spend money.  Collecting at the end was a chore as well and the league winner would have to wait until all fees were in before he got paid.  We raised the league fees and gave everyone fake money for blind bidding purposes.  There was no reason not to work the waivers or trade when it's technically free.  This kept the league more competitive and all the owners happy.  I really don't like the idea of paying to trade, pickups maybe at $2 each, but not to trade.

908899[/snapback]

solid points, I'll have to remember this for next year.

we used to do it but have stopped the last couple of years. We figured, why penalize people for getting more involved in the league? It just didn't make sense, and now with no fees there seems to be more interest in transactions by some of the guys who otherwise wouldn't.

Got fees as well.

$1.50 for waiver wire moves

$3.00 per trade / or $1.50 per player -- Negotiable as to which team pays the trade fees...

Whoever wins the Superbowl gets the entire kitty!!! On average it generates about $300 bucks additional to the winner.

It's expensive enough to stop guys from wildly making ton's of waiver wire moves on a weekly basis, but at the same time cheap enough to not stop them from doing it, so we end up getting a lot of action throughout the course of the season.

As the treasurer of the league, it has become an issue collecting at times at the end of the year, because you can't make the final end of the season payout till you've collected from everyone, and we've had the occasional owner who feels like he was slighted or something during the year, so he refuses to pay. But the basic rule in the league is that if you don't pay your trade and waiver fees, then you are automatically banned from the league. (Plus, the SB winner does get screwed out of a little more money, but it usually doesn't end up being that big of a deal.)

We've got a great group of guys in our league so it's only been a problem a few times in the last 6 years.....

Guest THEbigred

Hell no. IMO paying for transactions is the stupidest thing this side of VBD. It's a royal pain to collect and wt flip with penalizing someone for being a sharp/active owner?

I was in a league like that once. Never again.

We have $2 for waiver wire pickup and $1 each team for trades. All the proceeds go out in winnings at the end of the season this usually increases the pot about $120 each year. I play in 2 other leagues with $2 per transaction. It has never been a problem in any of these leagues to collect.

The use of the waiver wire and trades vary alot between teams, but I think it still works well.

We have $5 fee per free agent/waiver pickup but free trades (we don't want to inhibit them by charging). What we do is carry over the entire waiver wire pot to the following year to be included in the prize money the following season. Serves as a little carrot to keep owners returning. We usually get over $400 in waiver fees to carry over (and this is in a 14-team league).

We've had transaction fees for years with no problems. We charge a buck for each transaction. Collecting fees isn't a problem either because we don't collect until the end of the season. All fees go toward cash awards and a Superbowl party that we all attend. The extra money (over and above our league fees) makes for one heckuva' party. All our booze and food ends up being free. Once in 20 years of FFL competition has a player not paid his fees. He was not allowed to return to the league the following year. We're in a 12 team auction style league, and the top six teams vie for the "big" cash awards in the playoffs. To keep the lower six teams happy, they play for "small" cash awards in the "toilet bowl". Worst team in the league supplies the beer for next years draft.

We have a charge of $2 per ww/fa pick up but allow 10 free moves (for the guys who may not be able to afford it or don't like fees) before the fees kick in. We use this money for the single game high points scorer last year close to $100. We all pay at the end and its usually not too tuff to get people to pay up.