[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in mc accident

Front Row

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with the head injuries, is that they are so darn tricky.

The fact that he smashed into the windshield hard enough to knock several teeth out, fracture his left sinus cavity and break his jaw, speaks to the intensity of the impact.

At that moment, his brain was thrown into the forward part of his brain pan with force.

Then we know he flipped off the car to crack the back of his skull on the pavement. That would now slosh his brain violently against the back of his brain pan.

I think it is obvious Ben had to have suffered some vessel tearing of the brain and damage to the lining, due to the sudden acceleration / deceleration forces. This is borne out by the need open up his skull up to relieve the pressure caused by the swelling of his brain.

There are plenty of instances where people suffering this type of trauma to the brain, seem to be alright only to suddenly expire. It is not at all unusual for a patient with a significant head injury like Ben has had, to take a sudden turn over a 4-6 hour period. Sometimes the turn occurs over a period of days, or even weeks.

An example that I'm sure we're all aware of, is the girl who was hit in the head with the hockey puck at a Columbus Clipper game a couple years ago. Brittnie was sitting up in bed joking with friends the day before she suddenly passed.

I'm not a traditional religious man by any stretch of the imagination, agnostic would be the best description, but in this instance, my thoughts are turned in a positive way for young Mr. Roethlisberger.

The fact that he smashed into the windshield hard enough to knock several teeth out, fracture his left sinus cavity and break his jaw, speaks to the intensity of the impact.

At that moment, his brain was thrown into the forward part of his brain pan with force.

Then we know he flipped off the car to crack the back of his skull on the pavement. That would now slosh his brain violently against the back of his brain pan.

I think it is obvious Ben had to have suffered some vessel tearing of the brain and damage to the lining, due to the sudden acceleration / deceleration forces. This is borne out by the need open up his skull up to relieve the pressure caused by the swelling of his brain.

There are plenty of instances where people suffering this type of trauma to the brain, seem to be alright only to suddenly expire. It is not at all unusual for a patient with a significant head injury like Ben has had, to take a sudden turn over a 4-6 hour period. Sometimes the turn occurs over a period of days, or even weeks.

An example that I'm sure we're all aware of, is the girl who was hit in the head with the hockey puck at a Columbus Clipper game a couple years ago. Brittnie was sitting up in bed joking with friends the day before she suddenly passed.

I'm not a traditional religious man by any stretch of the imagination, agnostic would be the best description, but in this instance, my thoughts are turned in a positive way for young Mr. Roethlisberger.

Great post. Well said.

reports are that its not life threatening or career threatening.. hopefully those reports came from the doctors who know of the situation more than any of us. i just hope hes ok.

Hey Big.....I think you meant a Columbus Blue Jacket game....the Clippers are the AAA baseball team. :D

But yes....that was tragic and freakish. She was animated and laughing, then had an aneurism the next day. :D

And Bushwacked.....you're in C-Bus.....and didn't call me? Shame on you. :D:D

Hey Big.....I think you meant a Columbus Blue Jacket game....the Clippers are the AAA baseball team. :D

But yes....that was tragic and freakish. She was animated and laughing, then had an aneurism the next day. :D

Yep. Thanks for the correction Bunz :D

Why would you not wear a helmet, I just dont get it :D

First, let me say I hope the young man suffers no permanent disability.

BUT,

If you don't ride a mc (and mc does not stand for Mc Donalds :D ) your opinion is not worth very much.

I have ridden many miles and many yrs. , Helmets, IMO take away from the pleasure of motorcycling ; period. (Big ole neck cramp from the wind ) They DO protect you from head injury. They ALSO take away your hearing and peripheral vision. They also have been attributed to making neck injuries worse in minor accidents.

Just some food for thought for the critics.

That being said, he was not on a poker run on the backroads with 50 other bikes, he was riding in very heavy traffic. He should have taken every precaution to protect himself and his future.

The ricers as a group IMO ride WAY to fast for their own good, we called them organ donors when I was in the EMS field. Way to easy to hit 100mph +, especially for a young rider.

Oh yeah , and the refs that worked the SB were obviously paid off. :D

And Bushwacked.....you're in C-Bus.....and didn't call me? Shame on you. :D:D

Have a newbie/"potential take this job over guy" with me and didn't want to show him the standard practices of drinking mass quantities of alcohol out of town....plus he is slow, nervous, and mopey enough anyway....:D

First, my prayers are for Ben Roethlisberger and his family this evening. God willing, I hope the effects are not long-lasting, he goes on to finish a great NFL career, and becomes a spokesman for motorcycle safety.

Reading the reports, the good news is that he doesn't seem to be in crisis, but I agree with Score that with this kind of head trauma he won't be out of the woods for sure until a few days have passed. I doubt they have a definitive assessment on his knees, that's a bit down on the list for the doctors right now.

He's still young and that's in his favor, but football is a hard enough game on the body without doing this kind of damage to it off the field. Even if he comes back strong, I could see this shortening his career in the long run. Hope it's not so.

I don't ride, but I don't think that makes my opinion any less "credible" or as important as compared to those that do ride. I understand quite well the freedom one feels without a helmet.

Having said that, I really didn't have a problem with Rothlisberger's helmet stance.... WHEN he was on a cruiser, and not riding in a heavilly trafficed area, whether he was with a group or not. However, getting on a sports bike, I don't care WHO you are, or how experienced you are...... you aren't going to be cruising. That much speed is going to make ANY rider want to use it, even if you aren't speeding, you will use those horses for the exilerating acceleration they give you. Let ANY sports bike rider tell me different. Riding a sports bike without a helmet is idiotic any place, any time..... but in a the downtown section of a major city? Pardon me, but I do have an opinion, and not being a rider doesn't make it any less credible.

I still don't wear my seat belt, except occassionally. My choice. On the other hand, I drive like the old man I am. If I was in a vette, or a Porshe..... I'd be using that performance.... and would wear the belt.

I hope this kid is first, going to be OK and lead a normal life, and secondly, hope he can still play football. Maybe.... just maybe.... this will make 20 kids use their helmets. Then, it won't be a complete loss.... it might save some lives.

Edited by Rovers

BUT,

If you don't ride a mc (and mc does not stand for Mc Donalds :D ) your opinion is not worth very much.

I have ridden many miles and many yrs. , Helmets, IMO take away from the pleasure of motorcycling ; period. (Big ole neck cramp from the wind ) They DO protect you from head injury.

:D So you are more worried about "pleasure" than someone taking you out and splitting your head wide open? Just don't make sense to me. If he were wearing a helmet in this situation(and with him being an Icon in Pitt for many years to come, that was a VERY DUMB move), he would be home now resting his busted knees and not in surgery for 5 hours, plain and simple. And yea, I don't ride, but I would think that someone's safety is ALOT more important than their pleasure when it comes to riding a bike.

BUT,

I have ridden many miles and many yrs. , Helmets, IMO take away from the pleasure of motorcycling ; period. (Big ole neck cramp from the wind ) They DO protect you from head injury. They ALSO take away your hearing and peripheral vision. They also have been attributed to making neck injuries worse in minor accidents.

So, are you saying that a helmet would have been a hinderence to a rider travelling through a downtown area while an oncoming car turns in front of the bike? Assuming, of course, that the driver of the bike was obeying normal speed laws despite being on the world's fastest legal street bike.

but to echo other opinions expressed here, he should have been wearing a helmet.

Under state law, it's his right to NOT wear one.

As said above though, that's really taking his responsibility to his teammates lightly.

Personally, anytime I see a cyclist riding without a helmet, I figure it's just natural selection finding a way around medical advances.

They called in a plastic surgeon, right? I suspect it will take some time to put his face back together such that he won't look like Frankenstein's monster.

So the plan is to make him better-looking than he was pre-accident?

So, are you saying that a helmet would have been a hinderence to a rider travelling through a downtown area while an oncoming car turns in front of the bike? Assuming, of course, that the driver of the bike was obeying normal speed laws despite being on the world's fastest legal street bike.

I agree assuming that it was the world's fastest legal street bike. :D

BUT,

Just some food for thought for the critics.

That being said, he was not on a poker run on the backroads with 50 other bikes, he was riding in very heavy traffic. He should have taken every precaution to protect himself and his future.

The ricers as a group IMO ride WAY to fast for their own good, we called them organ donors when I was in the EMS field. Way to easy to hit 100mph +, especially for a young rider.

Oh yeah , and the refs that worked the SB were obviously paid off. :D

Well said !