[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A sad day today

driveby

Holy crap ma, I read to the part right before "left for college" and I thought this was about to be a "my son died" thread. Don't scare me like that.

God no.

If that had happened, you wouldn't see a post here.

I'd either be in a padded room or getting ready to eat a bullet.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's going to be a Chemical Engineer. I'm not too worried. :D

Cool! He will be another conservative for sure! Working for Exxon, Dupont, et al... :D No bleeding heart social worker, college prof, or ambulance chaser! Great job DB! :D

Good post.

I weigh most decisions like this--In 10 years, when I look back, which decision will result in me looking back without regret.

That's why now I tend to run myself ragged between coaching two soccer teams, scout leader, volunteering at school, etc. I blinked, and my boys are 7 and almost 10. I'm going to blink again and I'll be in driveby's shoes. I don't plan on looking back with regret over wasted opportunity.

Sheesh, mine are 6 and 4 and I can't imagine. But look at it this way - the older I get, the more I understand and the closer I get to my Dad.

But DB, I went to a very liberal college and the questions they couldn't answer did more to affirm my conservatism/libertarianism than anything. I'm sure he'll come out fine! :D

Great Post

I have 4, oldest is 7. Three of em started school last Monday. Wife and I can't believe how fast it is going by.

Sounds like you have done a great job. Congrats and good luck.

Hardrocker

My oldest one is going to start his 3rd year of college this year.

I have enough kids that I don't even miss him.

J/K......stay in contact. I talk to him at least once a week while he's gone and he also scores

me free football tickets so I drift down there a couple times during the fall to see him and he comes home at least once a month.

What song was that? Cats in the cradle?

What I'm feeling like Dad

Is the Florida car keys

See ya later

Can I have them please?

You have to remember that Mark Twain quote:(and I'm paraphrasing) "When I was 14 I thought my dad wasn't too intelligent: but by the time I was 21 I couldn't believe how smart he had become!"

Your son is off on his own new adventure, but at the end of it you guys will be closer than you could ever imagine! He will be a young man and you will be so proud! He will want your advice and your wisdom. You will see him start a career, marry and have children of his own. Right now these are unknown entities for you, but trust me : as they evolve and as both of you grow (and don't forget, all this time you are growing as well): you will love and embrace these moments and hold them as close to your heart as you did the day you first heard him cry.

Funny. My wife and I were just talking about this today and we have a 4 month old daughter. I am just trying to enjoy every moment. The day she goes off to college (hopefully) will be bittersweet. Happy she's going to college and grown up well, but sorry to see her go. I got a ways to go, but everyone says it goes fast.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Hey Driveby, I know your feelings well. I took my daughter to college this past weekend. She is 8 hours away. I was just thinking of her as I was reading the posts and was hoping she would call. I figured I would not call her tonight because I figured she is getting to know her new friends. This entire week is devoted to training the kids for school and she has been very busy. We have spoken and she seems to be adjusting well, mabe too well. :D Anyhow I did my job and I hope she will make good decisions while away. I will talk to her tomorrow but will not see her until November but I know she is pursuring her dream. Now that I am thinking about it I miss her even more and will not sleep well tonight. Thanks driveby. :D Just kidding. If you need to talk, we are here for ya.

• 3 years later...
I can't believe it's already been 4 years.

This Saturday he graduates, with honors, a Chemical Engineer.

And he's still a great young man. :tup:

Now if he could only find a job. :wacko:

My daughter's BF graduated as a chemical engineer and found a job with ease. He's on good money now, running cutting edge projects for a giant multinational. Admittedly that's three or four years back when he was hired but chemical engineer is a crapload better than any liberal arts degree. He'll get a job, no worries.

I feel lost in a time trap here. I remember this post when it went up, but if you asked me when it was I would have said this past September. Time marches while you aren't paying attention... :tup:

No kiddin'... can you imagine the debauchery that kid musta enjoyed in these four short years?

Oh... wait...

... graduates, with honors, a Chemical Engineer.

:wacko:

:tup: Congrats, driveby and son!

I can't believe it's already been 4 years.

This Saturday he graduates, with honors, a Chemical Engineer.

And he's still a great young man. :tup:

Now if he could only find a job. :wacko:

:tup: Sweet. Congrats