[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Change

i_am_the_swammi

So the last few weeks I have been doing some real intospective analysis and decided I am a cranky old man. I used to be so easy going in my younger years....loud music, drugs, work hard/play hard....i never used to sweat the small stuff.

20 years later, I am the old man I used to hate. Argumentative, negative, one to criticize, sarcastic. My wife hates me. My kids hate. Many on this board likely hate me. Buit underneath, I really am a nice guy...or at least I was.

What gives? Anyone else becoming Jack Lemmon to my Walter Matthau? Discuss.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the last few weeks I have been doing some real intospective analysis and decided I am a cranky old man. I used to be so easy going in my younger years....loud music, drugs, work hard/play hard....i never used to sweat the small stuff.

20 years later, I am the old man I used to hate. Argumentative, negative, one to criticize, sarcastic. My wife hates me. My kids hate. Many on this board likely hate me. Buit underneath, I really am a nice guy...or at least I was.

A-HOLE

You've been an eagles fan for like 30 years. How can you and vikes fans NOT be bitter?

The lions are just the lovable losers - everyone knows how bad they're going to be...

Well, maybe its time to see the doc and find out whats going on.

I can relate - I am way too short on patience at home. It's kind of weird - my wife and I are both cool heads at work and handle stress and volatile situations well, but we can blow up at home with the kids.

Working on it - awlays.

My wife hates me. My kids hate. Many on this board likely hate me.

:wacko:

I've never been one to buy into the "you can be whatever you want to be" when it comes to careers... but when it comes to the person you are on a daily basis, you have a tremendous amount of power in controlling WHO you are. The very best version of yourself is just dormant inside. To quote the movie Dune, "The sleeper must awaken."

:D

I've never been one to buy into the "you can be whatever you want to be" when it comes to careers... but when it comes to the person you are on a daily basis, you have a tremendous amount of power in controlling WHO you are. The very best version of yourself is just dormant inside. To quote the movie Dune, "The sleeper must awaken."

Look on the bright side Swammi......at least you're not reduced to quoting the movie 'Dune". :wacko::D

I'm not in the drain with you, but I'm definitely circling it...

I have to continually monitor it cause it is just too easy become like that. Thankfully, I've made sure to keep on the good side with the kids and wife. The good news is, you have diagnosed the problem, the bad news is, behavior can be hard to change.

Dumb question: do you work out? I've found that physical exercise and getting in better shape has really improved my mood. Being in better shape has also gotten me off my arse and out hiking, camping, etc. I really look forward to and plan for that stuff these days, which puts me in a great mood.

I'm not saying you should take up hiking, per se; just that physically feeling good and having things to look forward to may go quite a ways towards improving your disposition. I find that people tend to be grouchy when they don't feel good about themselves or what's going in their life.

It's also possible that you have a "brain cloud" (see, e.g., Joe and the Volcano) or other physiological explanation. While I think shrinks are worse than lawyers, and that our society is widely over-medicated, it'd be a shame if you were ignoring a treatable medical condition.

Edited by yo mama

Anyone else becoming Jack Lemmon to my Walter Matthau? Discuss.

Hugh One... Az... West Virginia... T_boner... Gil... I'll add more to the list as I think of them. :D

You're a good guy Swammi, no complaints here. By the way, was this meant as a large scale apology to all those you have told off over the last few years because you were going through your changes? :wacko:

Dumb question: do you work out? I've found that physical exercise and getting in better shape has really improved my mood. Being in better shape has also gotten me off my arse and out hiking, camping, etc. I really look forward to and plan for that stuff these days, which puts me in a great mood.

This is a great idea. A person's physical state can have a hugh impact on their overall attitude and outlook on life. If you look and feel like ch!t, you'll probably act ch!tty. If you're, maybe not so much looking great but feeling great because you keep yourself active/healthy, then you're more likely to have a brighter outlook on things and be in an overall happier mood.

Edited by irish

+1 to all but the wife and kids hating part. Thank God.

When you figure it out, let me know. I think it's stress/responsibility related FWIW.

Off topic but when I was drinking/smoking all time I never got sick. Now I drink alot less and don't smoke ( still smoke Marlboros) and I get sick a few times a year.

Hang in there my Eagles loving friend. :wacko:

Thanks for the positive vibes...helps a lot. It may be just the stress of work, seeing some good people with families go through layoffs....seeing people who thought they had their retirements set with lucrative real estate investments watch their equity disappear in a matter of months. I worry about my kids future...my retirement...making sure four youngsters have the chance to be educated...living up to eveything my wife thought she was marrying 12 years ago. Probably just some doldrums that I'll snap out of.

That being said, my temper has been especially short. I'm focused, I think I work hard and provide the best I can....but the little things bother me like never before. The family is supportive, and I was being a tad facetious when I said they "hate" me....but I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Have been getting more sleep recently, which seems to have helped....I really miss team sports...it was a great outlet when I was in my 20's. Back surgery some years ago keeps me from competing the way I'd expect me to be able to. I really miss playing baseball and hockey, even though soccer paid for my schooling. Running on a treadmill just doesn't seem like it would quench my thirst for competitive juices. Maybe darts?

My poker game is off. No idea why....Bad cards, too agressive, getting read like a book. My Phils won a championship...first one for the city since I was 13...felt great, and was a wonderful distraction for a month or two. The Eagles trophy case being bare doesn't help. Could the addition of a WR or a QB with heart really be all I need?

Ramble over...thanks again boys.

:wacko:

I fell asleep when I saw Dune at the movies,seriously

Thanks for the positive vibes...helps a lot. It may be just the stress of work, seeing some good people with families go through layoffs....seeing people who thought they had their retirements set with lucrative real estate investments watch their equity disappear in a matter of months. I worry about my kids future...my retirement...making sure four youngsters have the chance to be educated...living up to eveything my wife thought she was marrying 12 years ago. Probably just some doldrums that I'll snap out of.

Wow. I bet you would be surprised at just how many guys fall in line with this.

Me for instance...