[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The house almost burned down last night

muck

Long story, no time to go into it now. Everyone is ok. The house is ok (nothing a SOS pad and some paint won't fix). The expensive things are ok (i.e., couches, flooring, etc.).

Notes to everyone out there: Don't light candles that are near greenery. Check your fire extinguishers. Know where your important documents and pictures are at all times. Have a plan in case of a fire.

Hugh family party --- 13 adults and 9 kids. Candle burned too low and caught some greenery on fire in a room where my 90yr old grandmother was relaxing. I come around the corner from the kitchen into the living room and as soon as I enter the room, my grandmother yells, "Fire!"

I put my 9mo old on the couch and run over to the mantle alternating yelling for help and trying to blow out the fire; it's too big to blow out.

My cousin races over and grabs my son, and pulls the small couch out of the way, my dad grabs some books that were on fire and I catch the hot glass vase that was on top of the books so it doesn't shatter on the floor (only burned one finger :wacko: ). My sister throws water on the books and then on the mantle (which was still on fire) and my aunt tamps out the remaining embers with a blanket. Wife just wheeled around the corner with the fire extinguisher as my aunt was putting out the last little bit of flame.

The fire was exactly between these huge cedar timbers on our ceiling; if it had been 1ft in either direction, the flames most assuredly would have caught one of them on fire and it'd be a different ending. If the fire would have gone on for another 1-2 minutes, it would have been a different story, too.

God was watching over us, no doubt about it!

Very scary stuff. Glad it turned out like it did.

Similar thing happened to my sisters house a couple of days after Christmas 5 years ago. She was asleep and her stepdaughter left a candle on in her room and left. House was pretty much destroyed and they lived in a hotel for a month or longer while looking for a new place. Candles smell nice and all, but sheesh.

We've transitioned to only "fake" (battery operated) candles at our house... Not quite the same effect, but they're inexpensive and much safer. Plus, you can get the ones that "flicker" and give the same "feel" of a real candle. Just an idea. Just to be safe, though, I'm thinking a fire extinguisher for the upstairs might be a good idea. :wacko:

Glad everything is OK. :D

Reminds me of when I was a kid lighting the candles at the Christmas dinner table. I accidentally caught some greenery on fire with the match and the whole center arrangement nearly went up in smoke. :wacko: I think that was the last year of real cut greenery in the house and mom switched to all fake stuff.

You seen the videos of how fast a Christmas tree goes up in flames? Besides being frakkin' cool as hell, it's scary too. Glad things are well. :wacko:

We had real candles on the tree on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. (One set of candles burns for about 2 or so hours and we burned one set each night.) (We had the fire estinguisher right there as well as a small wet towel soaking in a bowl of water. (The tree was fresh, as I cut it down myself on the 22nd.)

The funny thing is that my 3 year-old got concerned on the 26th when we replaced the real candles with electric lights because "Electricity is really dangerous.". :D

(I will note that a happy side-effect of having real candles on the tree is that it forces everyone to stay in the same room and not be distracted by anything else. (Of course, this might be a negative side-effect if you don't like your family.)

Glad everything worked out all right for the Muck Family. :D

Edited by wiegie

We had real candles on the tree on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. (One set of candles burns for about 2 or so hours and we burned one set each night.) (We had the fire estinguisher right there as well as a small wet towel soaking in a bowl of water. (The tree was fresh, as I cut it down myself on the 22nd.)

The funny thing is that my 3 year-old got concerned on the 26th when we replaced the real candles with electric lights because "Electricity is really dangerous.". :wacko:

(I will note that a happy side-effect of having real candles on the tree is that it forces everyone to stay in the same room and not be distracted by anything else. (Of course, this might be a negative side-effect if you don't like your family.)

Glad everything worked out all right for the Muck Family. :D

I call BS - there's no way you cut your own tree... :D