[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My day...

TheGrunt

Today marks a day of celebration for myself. As many of you know I live in Seattle, moving here from Corvallis Oregon just about a year ago. I used to be enrolled at Oregon State University where I had almost finished up all of my lower division classes on route to getting a degree in Business.

When I moved to Seattle I had high hopes of making it into the University of Washington to finish my degree. The school is ranked 17th in the country -- possibly world -- in the college of Business. However, a year ago when I had applied to UW I was not accepted due to a lower GPA than they desired. I was devastated.

So instead of accepting this lost goal and move on to a smaller four year college that would have accepting me, I chose to go back to a community college and take certain courses over to raise my GPA. I did so with so much anticipation and determination, but even after a year I still wasn't sure if UW would accept me this time coming around.

And then I got two large envelopes from the Enrollment Services, Office of Admission for University of Washington. It began, "Congratulations! With great pleasure I offer you admission to the University of Washington..." :D:D:bash:

I can't even explain the extreme amount of joy and excitement I have right now, but one thing is for sure. I'll be attending UW as a Junior level student starting Spring of 2007. :clap:

Congratulations!

There is nothing like the sense of elation that comes when you know that something you've been working for comes to fruition. Validation that hard work pays off. Best of luck to ya!

he's getting a degree in business, not economics.

Actually, as of right now I was accepted as a 'Pre Major' student because they only accept business students during the Fall and Winter quarters. I will absolutely be striving for an MBA, however, I have considered getting a degree in economics prior to a Masters in Business. Although I'm more than likely looking at a degree in business over economics. :D

he's getting a degree in business, not economics.

Too bad for him.

Most lucrative degrees for 2007 grads

Marketing, business administration and engineering students see the biggest increases in average starting offers.

By Jeanne Sahadi, CNNMoney.com senior writer

February 8 2007: 1:24 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- With less than four months to go before saying sayonara to the quad for good, the class of 2007 is finding it easier than recent classes to get their foot in the work world.

Employers have said they expect to hire 17.4 percent more college grads than they did last year, and in many instances they plan to pay them more, too, according to a survey released this week by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).

The students faring the best are marketing and business administration majors.

The average starting offer for seniors majoring in marketing is up 14 percent from last year to $41,323.

Those majoring in business administration are seeing a 9.2 percent jump to $43,523 in average starting salaries.

Others who are seeing pay increases, albeit some far more modest than others, are seniors majoring in:

Mechanical engineering: Up 7.7 percent to $54,587

Chemical engineering: Up 7.4 percent to $60,054

Management information systems: Up 5.5 percent to $46,568

Civil engineering: Up 4.8 percent to $47,145

Electrical engineering: Up 3.2 percent to $54,599

Computer science: Up 2 percent to $51,070

Accounting: Up 1.7 percent to $46,508

There are no prior year comparisons for two majors because in prior NACE surveys they were grouped together as one. However, based on prior years' average starting offers in the category (in 2006 it was $45,191), NACE characterized these average starting salaries as "respectable."

Finance: $47,905

Economics: $51,631

There have been slight decreases in the average starting salary offers for just a few majors, but NACE notes that given that it's still early in the hiring season and the job market is strong for college grads, salary offers may improve in the next few months:

Logistics/Materials management: Down 1.8 percent to $43,294

Liberal arts (including psychology, political science history, English): Down 1.1 percent to $30,502

Actually, as of right now I was accepted as a 'Pre Major' student because they only accept business students during the Fall and Winter quarters. I will absolutely be striving for an MBA, however, I have considered getting a degree in economics prior to a Masters in Business. Although I'm more than likely looking at a degree in business over economics. :D

If I were planning to get an MBA, I would almost certainly get an undergraduate degree in economics instead of in business administration. (MBA's were traditionally designed for people who had non-business undergraduate degrees and as such will probably cover a lot of the same stuff as was taught at the undergraduate level.) I really do not understand some of my students who go right from an undergrad BBA into an MBA program. It makes no sense to me.