[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My cousin was murdered on Tuesday

wiegie

I just got up to school and checked my e-mail and there was a message from my dad saying that a cousin of mine had been murdered on Tuesday. To be honest, I didn't know him that well at all (and had really only talked to him a few times at family reunions) but it comes as quite a shock. Everything I know about him tells me that he was a good man.

Suspect had a history of past crimes

BY MARIA BARAN, JENNIFER BOWEN AND JENNIFER K. HASAMEAR

Belleville News-Democrat

COLLINSVILLE --A Springfield man with a troubled past was charged Wednesday with the murder of a Collinsville man who had taken him in to help him with alcohol abuse recovery.

Jared W. Mugrage, 29, is accused of beating, choking and using an ice pick to stab to death Bill Giedeman, 67.

Mugrage lived with Giedeman on and off for the past seven years, according to police.

Maj. Jeff Connor, deputy commander of the Major Case Squad of Greater St. Louis, said Mugrage has an "extensive criminal history," which included several assault charges.

Police found Mugrage driving Giedeman's green Mercury Marquis shortly before midnight Tuesday evening in Sangamon County.

About seven hours earlier, a neighbor had found Giedeman's body behind the privacy fence at his home at 126 Kenwood Lane. It was wrapped in plastic and a quilt, beneath leaves and other yard debris.

"He was stabbed multiple times," said Connor, who said those wounds may not have been fatal. Giedeman died from blunt force trauma to the head and chest and stab wounds.

Mugrage was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of concealing a homicidal death. He also was charged with stealing Giedeman's car and forging a check for $1,150 from Giedeman. Mugrage attempted to deposit the check Tuesday morning at a Granite City bank, police said.

In a written statement, Giedeman's family members said he did not take in transient or homeless people.

"Bill was a big supporter of AA recovery organizations and sponsored many people in their recovery process," it said.

Sponsors typically provide emotional support for younger addicts as they try to kick alcoholism.

Giedeman served as Mugrage's Alcoholics Anonymous sponsor and had wanted Mugrage to stay with him for a while after Thanksgiving, according to Mugrage's father, Brad Mugrage of Rinard, which is 90 miles east of Collinsville.

"Bill took him to meetings and things. Jared would live with Bill for a while, then find work and move out. Bill always kept track of him and kept in contact with him," Brad Mugrage said.

Neighbor Stephanie Tidball said Giedeman let friends live with him until they got back on their feet, "not always, just every now and then." This past summer, a man who "always seemed nice" was living at the house, Tidball said.

Giedeman, who was always friendly to neighbors, had brought ice cream to Tidball's 3-year-old son. "He was a really nice guy," she said.

Giedeman was "a true gentleman," another neighbor said.

Just hours before his death, neighbor Laura May stopped to say hello to Giedeman as they passed each other at the stop sign heading onto their dead-end street.

"I can't believe this," May said. "You don't meet a nicer person than him. If you knocked on his door, he would invite you right in, and that's how he was with everything."

May said Giedeman moved into the neighborhood about three years ago and did a complete renovation of the home.

"It was really beat up," May said. "He did an amazing job transforming it."

The ranch-style home has new cream-colored siding and maroon shutters. A holiday wreath hung above the garage door.

Very brutal details... I'm sorry. :D

Hey Wiegie, I sincerely don't mean for this to be disrespectful at all, so if you would rather not answer this, that's fine... but I'm just wondering if your cousin and this guy may have had a romantic relationship. I'm just trying to understand what would cause such a huge flip out from the young guy. He could have just been a borderline personality or otherwise an all around crazy bad dude, but it seesm like a lot of times this kind of rage/passion comes from a breakup of sorts. Do you think that's what happened here?

Very brutal details... I'm sorry. :D

Hey Wiegie, I sincerely don't mean for this to be disrespectful at all, so if you would rather not answer this, that's fine... but I'm just wondering if your cousin and this guy may have had a romantic relationship. I'm just trying to understand what would cause such a huge flip out from the young guy. He could have just been a borderline personality or otherwise an all around crazy bad dude, but it seesm like a lot of times this kind of rage/passion comes from a breakup of sorts. Do you think that's what happened here?

well...it seems like some of those mentor/mentee relationships forged in addict support groups can be very emotional themselves. maybe the guy fell off the wagon, wiegie's uncle went after him a bit, and the guy was feeling guilt, rage, failure, embarrassment, etc. all at once. at least that was my first sense reading the article. edit to add: either that or the guy was just a thug moron who takes advantage of peoples' kindness.

sorry for your family's loss, wieg.

Edited by Azazello1313