[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm out

Big John

Just now, Gopher said:

I love dynasty leagues, but they're impacted by luck just as much as the others, unfortunately.  It's just a big part of the game, regardless of format.  

Agreed.  If it was all skill I would have won.  :)

• Like 1

Yea.  I was high scorer in dynasty league and barely made playoffs and lost in 1st round.  That doesn't help.  

In all honesty I pretty much check out mentally on fantasy once games start.  I'll  just cheer for my real life favorite team or enjoy whatever game is on.  I'd recommend not getting so emotionally invested.  It's pretty easy for me.  The magical excitement of watching my fantasy players on TV largely dissipated 15 plus years ago.

• Like 2

It's a lot easier to just check your fantasy box score once the games are over. Even after playing fantasy sports for 25 years now, it's still stressful to follow the box score in real time. It's a lot less stressful and more fun to just enjoy the game instead of constantly calculating how many catches or yards you need to win that week. 

• Like 2

It’s truly pointless to worry about real time scores when you’re in a few or more leagues.  The rosters are always going to have a degree of diversification.  

11 hours ago, Shaft said:

It's a lot easier to just check your fantasy box score once the games are over. Even after playing fantasy sports for 25 years now, it's still stressful to follow the box score in real time. It's a lot less stressful and more fun to just enjoy the game instead of constantly calculating how many catches or yards you need to win that week. 

I usually check once the early games are done, then again after the late games are done. Then I see where I stand & what I have left to go for Sunday & Monday night.

On 12/31/2023 at 2:29 PM, Big John said:

:wflag:

After the last 2 weeks of my players not doing much and opponents' players going berserk on me, i have no more love for the game.

:bio:

I say quit.  You will find something else to do, and might actually enjoy the NFL a whole lot more than you do now.  Or you will not like it at all, freeing up a lot of time for other interests.  And yeah, there are a lot of other fun things to do in the fall and winter than play FF.  I am seriously thinking of quitting after 12 years.  Just not much fun anymore. 

• Like 1

I just got my Medicare card and my best friend & brother is 51.  We have a pact.  When one is unable to mentally go online and select a starting lineup, the other pulls the plug.

• Haha 5

My interest has certainly ebbed and flowed over the many years, but it has steadily declined over the past several. Still, I find myself contemplating starting a new family league and possible online league and usually by this time (even if I'm winning) my interest is fading hard. So, maybe the fervor I once had is no longer there, but I do still enjoy it as a passing hobby. Or, maybe I just enjoy the interactions more than anything because ultimately that's where most of the entertainment comes from for me.

4 hours ago, Ramhock said:

I just got my Medicare card and my best friend & brother is 51.  We have a pact.  When one is unable to mentally go online and select a starting lineup, the other pulls the plug.

I made it to two huddle expert league championships as the 1 seed and won one.

Look at what each team looked like and tell me which you think won:

Team 1
Record: 9-5
Power Rank #1
All-Play record: 100-54
Points scored: 1st (out of 12)
Possible Points: 1st 
Bench Points: 2nd 

Team 2
Record: 10-4
Power Rank: 3rd
All-Play record: 55-71
Points scored:7th (out of 10)
Possible Points:11th 
Bench Points: 8th

SPOILER: TEAM 2 won the championship. 

Team 1 scored 231.98 in the championship game, 10.79 less than my season avg and that's with McCaffrey getting injured. My opponent put up 293.88. The 2nd highest score in the league and 72.50 above his season avg.

Team 2 score 200.00 in the championship game, 70.88 more than my season avg and the highest score in the entire league all year and it was only the 3rd time all year a team scored 190+ points. 

So yeah, Team 2 won me a championship that it had no business winning and Team 1 lost when it had no business losing, but that's fantasy football. And yeah, the loss is going to stick with me longer, for sure. 

Edited by keggerz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had 1 stinker of a league, others i just missed the playoffs and the others the bottom fell out at crunch time.  Still don't know if i can continue this cruel game.

9 minutes ago, Big John said:

Had 1 stinker of a league, others i just missed the playoffs and the others the bottom fell out at crunch time.  Still don't know if i can continue this cruel game.

He's coming around already, I think he'll be alright come summer time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:29 PM, Big John said:

:wflag:

After the last 2 weeks of my players not doing much and opponents' players going berserk on me, i have no more love for the game.

:bio:

Fantasy football is a cruel mistress! Take a couple months away from it mentally and recharge. It’s just a game. You’ll learn from the season and be better next year.

On 1/2/2024 at 8:33 PM, Def. said:

It’s truly pointless to worry about real time scores when you’re in a few or more leagues.  The rosters are always going to have a degree of diversification.  

I disagree. I make afternoon decisions based on am performances. My risk reward changes. 

14 hours ago, Trojanmojo said:

Fantasy football is a cruel mistress! Take a couple months away from it mentally and recharge. It’s just a game. You’ll learn from the season and be better next year.

I would think all fantasy players take some time off after the season is over, even if you were in the title game you've got a month or more of playoff football to enjoy and ignore fantasy stuff. I pretty much check out until July/August. I know hard core people spend lots of time with the combine and draft but even those are a ways off. 

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

I would think all fantasy players take some time off after the season is over, even if you were in the title game you've got a month or more of playoff football to enjoy and ignore fantasy stuff. I pretty much check out until July/August. I know hard core people spend lots of time with the combine and draft but even those are a ways off. 

There are dynasty degenerates who start scouting now. I don't know any. 🤔

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I disagree. I make afternoon decisions based on am performances. My risk reward changes. 

The comment was directed more at the cheering/jeering of your players/players you against.  But regardless I believe that would be largely size dependent on the league.  Many of my leagues are deep rosters and thus generally there is little depth on your roster where making changes in the afternoon is going to matter.  I'd also imagine how many leagues your in would factor, I pay attention to one or two leagues for afternoon injuries but am not going back to review all 10 in the few short minutes between morning games conclude and afternoon kicks.  Can only imagine the chaos of that for way too many league guys like Darin or Henry.  :shrug:

2 minutes ago, Def. said:

between morning games conclude and afternoon kicks.  

Your profile says Chicago where all games are played in the PM.  Only hear this term from those on the west coast.,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaft said:

There are dynasty degenerates who start scouting now. I don't know any. 🤔

I've already started to look at rookie draft position, league opponent needs, CFB player rankings and NFL draft projections. :bag:

I'm also considering attending the Senior Bowl this year since its fairly local and held at my daughter's school.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Big John said:

Your profile says Chicago where all games are played in the PM.  Only hear this term from those on the west coast.,

Have always just referred to them as the morning and afternoon games.  Couldn't tell you why its that way, just seems to have always been to me and those around.  Hadn't really thought about it before.  :unsure:     

1 hour ago, Def. said:

Have always just referred to them as the morning and afternoon games.  Couldn't tell you why its that way, just seems to have always been to me and those around.  Hadn't really thought about it before.  :unsure:     

Maybe back when you started watching football it felt like morning since you had just woken up. I know for years I would sleep in Sunday mornings, go get the paper put on a pot of coffee and start watching some pre-game around noon. 

I have family in California, and they definitely referred to them as morning or afternoon games. I would usually refer to them as early and late games. 

I agree it is odd to refer to something that starts at noon as a morning event.