[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First NFL Coach Fired

gijoerock

15 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I don't know how many people saw this but in the Viking game Staley went for it on 4th and one on his own 24 yard line? With like 2 minutes left. And didn't get it and the Vikings had the ball at the six yard line and made some real bonehead clock decisions otherwise they would have had three shots to the end zone from the six yard line. He may have won that game but looked pretty bad in the process. 

Yeah. He was one lucky doink interception (and the Vikings own ineptitude) from being on the hottest of hot seats. Staley is a serious idiot. 

My pick is still the Bears HC. That said, what happened at the end of that MIN-LAC game is inexcusable.  On both sides. Staley is terrible. Definitely a case where a team won DESPITE their coach, not because of him.  As for Minnesota, as much as I like O'Connell (and Cousins, for that matter), the ending was brutal and they handled it like a high school team.  First and goal from the 6.5 yard line with 36 seconds left, clock running, and no timeouts.  You do one of two things in that situation.  Either clock it (which is what happens 95% of the time) OR, if you think you can catch the defense on their heels, you run a quick play that results in either a score or an incompletion.  Do either of those things, and you have AT LEAST 20 seconds left to run three more pass plays.  Probably more like 25-30 seconds if you clock it.  

Instead, what do they do?  Run it down inside of 10 seconds, run what seems like a very rushed/hectic play, and throw a tipped INT at the goal line.  WTF.  :bash: Cousins said he was having a hard time hearing what play O'Connell wanted.  Again, WTF?!?!  You're AT HOME.  Why is crowd noise an issue?  And, that's all the more a reason to just CLOCK IT.  Reset, and run three plays, with plenty of time, to try to score from inside the 10.  What they ended up doing made zero sense.  Infuriating.  :furious::pullhair:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Is somebody gonna get fired?

Did Bears coach Willaims do something bad, illegal or otherwise? Is the media covering it up? 

Will the Jets get a new QB? 

Is somebody gonna get fired? 

You already stated it as fact he's done something wrong. I remember seeing it. 

38 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

You already stated it as fact he's done something wrong. I remember seeing it. 

The part of my post about the bears was a bit of humor, since people were saying "where are the rumors" and then "its all being covered up by the media". I can search news and find plenty about it. The tweet that somebody else posted reported his home was raided by the FBI. And the team has come out and said he did something inappropriate and HR was involved in it, but that it was not illegal or no crimes committed on Bear property (CYA PR speak). 

PS  Good job mentioning Bowles, I was going to ask why is his job secure? He didn't do much with a Bucs squat including TB that had just won a SB 2 years before then went 13-4 the next season. 

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

OR, if you think you can catch the defense on their heels, you run a quick play that results in either a score or an incompletion. 

did you see that with Dan Marino and Mark Ingram* (i'm not sure if you're old enough)? i think that was the first time that happened and everyone, even all of the dolphin players were shocked. 

* i just checked and had no idea that the RB is his son 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Yoyo said:

First of what should be more. Will people get that this guy doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach.

I cringed whenever the Browns were looking for coaches and his name came up. He rode the Patriots wave, had a HC job and didn't do too well, among some really whacky decisions. Then back to BB's wing to get more training. Apparently that didn't help either. He's a local (NE Ohio - Canton) guy. His dad was a long time high school coach at some of the top schools in the area (Canton McKinley, Warren G Harding, Massillon). 

The GM Ziegler was also a NE Ohio guy, and played at John Carrol with Josh, later part of the Pats front office. I seem to recall he was hired after Josh, with input/approval of Josh. 

I'm sure Mark Davis will make another brilliant hiring decision. 

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

Aaaaand the winner is:

raiduhs.jpg

Josh McDaniels has long been the most overrated name out there. He seriously sucked as HC. His play calling was terrible. I figured this was coming. The Raiders made the right call.

Tempted to start a thread to see which fans are really happy with their HC and want to keep them.  A short list below just from some of the posts here and what I hear from fans.  (Not talking about will the coach be fired soon, but they people want them to be fired. For example Gil thinks that Bears should fire Eberflus, but won't do it midseason so he picks somebody else like Staley.)

keep the coach = DET, SF, PHI, CLE

fire the coach = GB, LAC, NYG, DEN, CHI, NYJ

What about other bad teams like LAR(McVay), IND(Steichen), AZ(Gannon), CAR(Reich), NE(BB)

Personally I think Stefanski is he best we've had in a while, and if they fire him they'll have a string of 1-2 year guys going thru the revolving door.