[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calvin Ridley suspended for the 2022 season

Feeling fortunate I have little to no shares on him.  That's going to be at least 18 months of no activity if the suspension holds.  Generally guys don't ever return if out around that 2 year threshold and those that do are noticeably diminished. 

16 minutes ago, stethant said:

Seems pretty hypocritical, considering how hard the NFL promotes gambling now. The guy wasn't even playing.

I'll be honest, doesn't bother me at all in regards to punishment.  We already bitch about the refs enough as it is and have other conspiracy theorist out there, don't need players further muddying the waters when it comes to the integrity of the game. 

It's also clear as day in the rules, if you're signed you cannot sports gamble.

• Like 1

Just now, Def. said:

I'll be honest, doesn't bother me at all in regards to punishment.  We already bitch about the refs enough as it is and have other conspiracy theorist out there, don't need players further muddying the waters when it comes to the integrity of the game. 

It's also clear as day in the rules, if you're signed you cannot sports gamble.

Yep clearly in the rules, no sympathy especially because he had many other things to place bets on if he needed some action. 

That's what makes it incredibly dumb, or possibly related to his mental health (not thinking clearly, maybe he has a gambling problem too). 

I recall somebody in sports who got caught gambling (maybe it wasn't Pete Rose) defended their actions saying he never bet on his own team, most didn't feel that was OK. 

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Yep clearly in the rules, no sympathy especially because he had many other things to place bets on if he needed some action. 

That's what makes it incredibly dumb, or possibly related to his mental health (not thinking clearly, maybe he has a gambling problem too). 

I recall somebody in sports who got caught gambling (maybe it wasn't Pete Rose) defended their actions saying he never bet on his own team, most didn't feel that was OK. 

Fairly recently, Josh Shaw was suspended. 

https://abc7ny.com/josh-shaw-suspended-nfl-sports-betting/5727040/

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

He Tweeted this afternoon stating he bet a total of $1,500 and doesn't have a problem.  Not defending him in any way.

1 minute ago, darin3 said:

He Tweeted this afternoon stating he bet a total of $1,500 and doesn't have a problem.  Not defending him in any way.

Good to know, he also said he knows it was wrong (see his twitter feed below), guess his main complaint is the length of the suspension. What did he think would happen if they found out he was gambling on NFL games while he was a member of an NFL team? 

https://twitter.com/CalvinRidley1

His last tweet "If you know me you know my character"

Most of us don't know you, and what we see is somebody saying "I know I broke the rules, but my punishment is too harsh." 

And apparently his bet included the Falcons winning. 

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Good to know, he also said he knows it was wrong (see his twitter feed below), guess his main complaint is the length of the suspension. What did he think would happen if they found out he was gambling on NFL games while he was a member of an NFL team? 

https://twitter.com/CalvinRidley1

His last tweet "If you know me you know my character"

Most of us don't know you, and what we see is somebody saying "I know I broke the rules, but my punishment is too harsh." 

And apparently his bet included the Falcons winning. 

If he bet on his own team, he's damn lucky it's only a year suspension.  

Also, I read that he's suspended INDEFINITELY with the MINIMUM being through the '22 season.  He may be in some serious hot water.

Punctuation is important, like a period after the word total (or not).

His official quote without a period comes across as a bet.

I bet 1500 total I don’t have a gambling problem

I bet 1500 total. I don’t have a gambling problem

With a period, it comes across as a statement.

Either way, $1500 over 5 days to lose $11.1mil for the year is a bad bet.

Edited by Riffraff
  • Like 3

A post from this morning: 

I was listening to DC101 this morning. They had a caller who was a direct employee with an area sports team (Ravens, Redskins, Nationals, Wizards etc...) but he would not directly disclose. He said even their hourly admin employees are not allowed to bet on the sport to which they are employed.

The guy said, every player, employee name is in some database which monitors sports gambling. They said the moment an account was created with (Calvin Ridley) it would be immediately flagged and investigated. They said that they the players, sports employees etc... are given yearly HR and conduct meetings on how its not allowed.

Ridley just did not care and did it anyway.

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

Well here's some negative spin, the NFL just does the bidding of the gambling industry, its why Ridley got suspended while somebody like Stephen Ross who allegedly told his coach to lose games for a better draft position gets nothing.

https://deadspin.com/integrity-is-a-funny-word-1848621470

It does corroborate the part about the gambling site reporting Ridley to the NFL, going along with part Dcat posted about all NFL employees being on a list that is monitored.