[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

12 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I believe the first portion of the list were all things proven or admitted to, correct?  Last I checked those are still different that accusations. 

I wonder if Judge Robinsons report if available to the public, might be a good read. The excerpts I read in other places she explained her decision well. 

Below is a link from the NFL.com story I posted earlier, some of the text was in the article but appears there is more here. Not being a twitter subscriber I cannot quite read all of what might be there. 

18 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

believe the first portion of the list were all things proven or admitted to, correct?  Last I checked those are still different that accusations

Yeah, it's crazy. He settled most of the cases out of court which says something. I don't know what or if any of that played into her decision. I'm pretty pissed if I'm the guy who unknowingly took a banned substance and got a similar punishment. 

• Like 1

The full report from Judge Sue L Robinson if anybody cares to read it. I haven't had time yet but will probably do so after work. Local news had 3 legal experts on who reviewed the report and all said they thought that Robinson made a fair and just ruling based on the evidence and past punishments for various incidents handed down by the NFL. One key point she mentioned is something along the lines of "you cannot just hand down massive punishment because of outcry from the public". One member of the panel said they thought Goodell should just accept it and move on, rather than being heavy handed and trying for something like a year. 

As I said yesterday, I'm sure the NFL will appeal if they feel it will help their image. That's all that really matters to them. The team isn't commenting much, coach Stefanski had to field questions and basically said "this isn't something I'm involved in, we just need to roll with whatever the decision is". GM Andrew Berry was not present, the Haslams were but were not available to speak to the media and said they will address it when its fully resolved (meaning after any potential appeal is done or not).

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/browns/2022/08/01/read-sue-l-robinsons-deshaun-watson-decision-suspension/10204338002/

27 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Local news had 3 legal experts on who reviewed the report and all said they thought that Robinson made a fair and just ruling based on the evidence and past punishments for various incidents handed down by the NFL. One key point she mentioned is something along the lines of "you cannot just hand down massive punishment because of outcry from the public". 

I'm not sure about this,  the nfl isn't bound by the same legal requirements that the courts are.  They are a private company with their own ability to punishment outside the courts (similar to any union industry) and being driven by public relations and the public who buys the tickets (and products) make them unique. 

There had never been a 2 yr baseball suspension either prior to this season.   While the nfl may actually like the fact that the judge has taken pressure off them by ruling for 6 games, it's going to be hard for anyone to get longer and longer suspensions, if we never have a long suspension due to precedent. 

The problem with precedent is that we can get farther and farther away from the rule of law with each step, eventually the courts will rule 1+1=3

Don't get me wrong I love watching football, mostly College, but I do enjoy watching NFL.  But with this disgusting situation, it's lost my respect.  What the hell makes Watson so freakn special.  6 game suspension is an absolute JOKE!!  He paid off all those other women...(not happy about that, I mean where is your pride ladies, take it to court and put his ass in jail...I'm a massage therapist myself and "happy endings" are an issue in my line of work, but only if you allow it to happen.  An elbow, strategically positioned in a vital area will bring any happy endings down, let me tell ya) which means, in my opinion, your guilty (not the women, Watson is guilty).  Yet all these other athetes with weed or substance issues or domestic abuse issues, get 8-10 game suspensions...Hell Kaepernick was blackballed by the entire league for kneeling for people rights, giving those who were voiceless a voice.  It's clear the NFL has a terrible image problem, and this decision just made it worse.  While I love watching the NFL, going forward, I will not spend one dime on ANYTHING involving the NFL.  I hope Cleveland loses every game going forward, I am just so fedup with this organization...what an embarrassment and disgrace to the NFL (besides the NFL being a disgrace in and of itself).  While people may not like Baker Mayfield, may not like how he plays the game, he seems to be a decent person, and I am glad he does not have to be a part of that laughing stock franchsie any longer.  GO PANTHERS.  

Edited by devilwoman
  • Like 1

OK I'm done with this discussion for a while, I can tell it is devolving into "the NFL is horrible for allowing this" and the inevitable "I'm done with the NFL" talk instead of trying to focus on facts and the rules in place with the CBA and what this judge ruled. 

Enjoy the pitch fork party, be it for the entire league or just the Browns or just Watson or whatever.

And make sure to celebrate when the NFL appeals, and hands down 1 year or longer suspension.

5 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

OK I'm done with this discussion for a while, I can tell it is devolving into "the NFL is horrible for allowing this" and the inevitable "I'm done with the NFL" talk instead of trying to focus on facts and the rules in place with the CBA and what this judge ruled. 

Enjoy the pitch fork party, be it for the entire league or just the Browns or just Watson or whatever.

And make sure to celebrate when the NFL appeals, and hands down 1 year or longer suspension.

The reason why people are mad about this is because the NFL has been real selective on how they go about this process. 25 women filed civil cases against Watson. The NFL interviewed 12 of them and only gave 5 of them to the judge, one of which she threw out.  She, of course, has to follow the letter of the law and the CBA.

And of course the CBA gives Goodell the right to appeal this and do whatever he wants anyway. The whole thing is a sham and a disgrace. And this not only includes this case but every disciplinary case going back to when Goodell came on board.  It's a joke. The NFL only cares about money and trying to cultivate their image. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT IS RIGHT OR WRONG.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief Dick said:

The reason why people are mad about this is because the NFL has been real selective on how they go about this process. 25 women filed civil cases against Watson. The NFL interviewed 12 of them and only gave 5 of them to the judge, one of which she threw out.  She, of course, has to follow the letter of the law and the CBA.

And of course the CBA gives Goodell the right to appeal this and do whatever he wants anyway. The whole thing is a sham and a disgrace. And this not only includes this case but every disciplinary case going back to when Goodell came on board.  It's a joke. The NFL only cares about money and trying to cultivate their image. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT IS RIGHT OR WRONG.

!!

• Like 1

https://clutchpoints.com/browns-rumors-nfls-plan-on-deshaun-watson-ruling-is-bad-news-for-cleveland/

Sounds like the Commish might have other plans. Some think he could add 4-6 more games to the suspension and a multi million dollar fine as part of the punishment as well.  

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

Anything substantially over/under a full season suspension is subject to well established criticism based on the NFL's precedent. If the current NFL discipline system results in Watson getting a 6 game suspension, the system is a joke. 

For all the heartache about Goddell being judge, jury, and executioner; this is the singular incident where he's legitimately justified to come in and hammer down more punishment.  I just have no confidence in him either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Anything substantially over/under a full season suspension is subject to well established criticism based on the NFL's precedent. If the current NFL discipline system results in Watson getting a 6 game suspension, the system is a joke. 

For all the heartache about Goddell being judge, jury, and executioner; this is the singular incident where he's legitimately justified to come in and hammer down more punishment.  I just have no confidence in him either.

Perfectly stated. Here's where we find out what Goodell is made of. It's all on him now, no excuses. 

Yeah all the buzz on ESPN is that it's gonna be more than 6 games.  I grabbed him in a best ball league hoping for a short-ish suspension and I woulda been fine w/ 6 games in this case.... but doesn't look like that's happening.  Unless he gets Goodell to give him the entire season, in which case I can see his team suing the NFL and he'd be able to play via temporary restraining order.

Not sure why anybody thinks that Goodell who has been heavy handed with punishment in the past after public outcry won't do so again. The surprise would be if the NFL do not appeal. Or comes back with no additional or less punishment. But you also have to consider this new system agreed to by NFL & NFLPA and does the NF want this first case to be a "nope sorry impartial arbiter didn't do enough, we're dropping the hammer" situation. 

I do wonder, how long the NFL would have to make their ruling if they appeal. Can they drag this on a few more weeks? And then say he's suspended for the season? 

And then he sues, and as some suggest could be allowed to play week 1 while its tied up in court. 

If the clock started ticking when the announcement was made Monday around 9AM they're down to about 20 hours left to file that appeal. 

The Browns released a statement which I thought was poorly worded, saying how "there have many individuals triggered throughout the process".  The recent political climate has really made "triggered" a word that has some bad connotation to it. 

7 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Perfectly stated. Here's where we find out what Goodell is made of. It's all on him now, no excuses. 

Yep. But this also adds to the whole sham of the thing. The only reason for this judge's ruling is so the NFL can float out this possible suspension to gauge public reaction. If there is outrage, Goodell gets to play the hero and show that the NFL is strong on sexual abuse which = more $ because it appeals to the female demographic.

If the suspension doesn't outrage people they go with the judge and this whole story disappears after week 6. 

• Thanks 1

God i'm so sick of people thinking it's the NFL's job to punish crimes and off-field conduct.  These are ACCUSATIONS.  Nothing proven. District Attorney's refusing to prosecute for LACK OF EVIDENCE.  And yall whining that 6 games not enough.  WTF is wrong with yall?  The NFL isn't a policing agency, and it shouldn't be trying to become one.  That's not its business, or it's function, in our country.  It's an entertainment industry you idiots.  You got a problem with Watson's punishment?  Go protest at the Harris County DA's office.  You think he shouldn't be playing?  Guess what, if he's not in jail, he's a free man.  That's right.  He's a free man right now.  

And before you all get on ur self-righteous high horses, don't even forget they already kept him from playing a full season.  But yes.  Let's live in a world where all it takes is people SAYING you did something for you to lose your job, get slandered across all public forums and social media for years, get investigated by multiple agencies, sued, and pay tens of millions of dollars just to make it all go away.  Yea, that's the world you want, it's the world you'll get.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, GaryNelson22 said:

God i'm so sick of people thinking it's the NFL's job to punish crimes and off-field conduct.  These are ACCUSATIONS.  Nothing proven. District Attorney's refusing to prosecute for LACK OF EVIDENCE.  And yall whining that 6 games not enough.  WTF is wrong with yall?  The NFL isn't a policing agency, and it shouldn't be trying to become one.  That's not its business, or it's function, in our country.  It's an entertainment industry you idiots.  You got a problem with Watson's punishment?  Go protest at the Harris County DA's office.  You think he shouldn't be playing?  Guess what, if he's not in jail, he's a free man.  That's right.  He's a free man right now.  

And before you all get on ur self-righteous high horses, don't even forget they already kept him from playing a full season.  But yes.  Let's live in a world where all it takes is people SAYING you did something for you to lose your job, get slandered across all public forums and social media for years, get investigated by multiple agencies, sued, and pay tens of millions of dollars just to make it all go away.  Yea, that's the world you want, it's the world you'll get.  

Your stupid is showing in more ways then one, may want to think your post through a little more. 

Getting a familiar vibe...reminiscent of someone recently departed from these forums.  :thinking:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Def. said:

Your stupid is showing in more ways then one, may want to think your post through a little more. 

Getting a familiar vibe...reminiscent of someone recently departed from these forums.  :thinking:

weird.  you called me stupid, insinuated i was someone who has left these forums (literally only came here to advertise my league and got caught up by this thread), and told me to think more.  did you do any thinking?  did you actually bring any kind of logic, insight, or rebuttals to the discussion?  Nope.  yours was a completely worthless post that contributed nothing.  congratulations. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GaryNelson22 said:

You seem angry.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GaryNelson22 said:

weird.  you called me stupid, insinuated i was someone who has left these forums (literally only came here to advertise my league and got caught up by this thread), and told me to think more.  did you do any thinking?  did you actually bring any kind of logic, insight, or rebuttals to the discussion?  Nope.  yours was a completely worthless post that contributed nothing.  congratulations. 

I did try to post something equivocal to your narrow minded rant.  So yes, your response show I put in the appropriate amount of thought and I appreciate your adulation towards it.  :tab:

• Sad 1

Lets try facts. 1) district attorney declined to prosecute, specifically for lack of evidence. 2) watson has already been kept from playing at least 18 games. 3) nfl is not a policing agency, has no governmental power to enforce or investigate violations of the law. You got anything to say about any of that?  

• Like 1