[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I have no idea what I'm doing at this point.

Square

I have to go to a jobsite pretty soon, but the short story is this. My wife went out for drinks with the other social workers last night because one of the girls is moving out of state and it was her last day (she had a whole 2 beers). Anyway, she came home and kissed me like, well like I have been kissed in awhile. She hugged me, starting crying and saying she was sorry, that she loved me, and that she'll do whatever it takes. We put the kid to bed and talked for a good hour or so. Everything isn't perfect but it is MUCH better than before. She actually talked about being angry about the way I acted towards the miscarriage (she wasn't blaming me, just that she held on to some stuff longer than she should have). She missed being closer to me (the dating thing) and that she couldn't picture raising our child if we weren't together. She was angry at herself, ashamed, and scared that this kind of thing could happen. She isn't thrilled to go to counseling but she definitely will. At this point I think its non-negotiable. I might just have her go talk to someone solo for a time or two before we actually have a session together. So, it was a pretty big step last night. I'd like to thank everyone for the help/opinion/2cents. I just needed to hear some opinions and I didn't really feel like talking to everyone we went to high school about losing the child and the difficulties afterword. Thanks fellas (and ladies).. you rock :wacko:

Great update. A step in the right direction for sure :D

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a GREAT way to start a weekend.

If you're able, carve out a fun time with the family this weekend (zoo? waterpark?), and if you can arrange for a sitter that night, then you and your wife can just go find a booth in the back of the local pizza parlor and spend a couple of hours just talking.

I have been thinking about and praying for you this week. I am VERY excited for both of you!

:wacko:

Just adding my comments, been away for a bit. Read everything and was really feeling for you and your family Square. Then to read your update it really made me smile. So glad things are headed in the right direction. Hope you and your family have a good weekend and continue with the positive progress.

Great Advice by my fellow huddlers!

Square, I read every page and I'm liking the ending so far, so I would like to offer up an idea, because I'm going to do the same thing myself. Now, my marriage is just fine, but I want my wife to know that I have never had one second thought about my life with her and the kids. I'm going to go and buy some cheap little ring.....set up a baby sitter and a date night.....and I'm going to "pop the question" again......"Honey, will you marry me again" I personally believe there is a very strong reinforcing power to a act like that and it shows your deep affection and commitment to her-here's hoping for a bright future with your little lady and daughter :wacko:

Best Wishes-The Captain

My wife and I have this discussion all the time, that when she is having a rough time, that I tend to want to "fix her", or "fix the situation".

She tells me alot: " I don't want you to fix it, I just need you to listen to me. "

Men by nature are fixers: they want to solve every problem. You may just need to sit down with her and say: "Just talk to me. I will just listen."

And then listen. Don't interject. Don't try to fix.

Post of the thread, really. She's feeling at her lowest -- maybe feeling somehow responsible for the miscarriage, maybe feeling like a failure at the prime "female" function. She's probably a little scared that it could happen again. She's lost a child she'd already fallen in love with, had hopes and dreams for.

We all have a "shell" that allows us to feel that the world is a relatively safe place, we'll live to a ripe old age and that bad stuff probably won't happen to us. We need that shell to function without continual anxiety. Losses like these crack that shell of denial, make it hard to feel safe and secure in our lives for a while. Add in the hormones and it's a recipe for a very tough time.

Awesome news Square. It sounds like she's turning the corner. Let her put her money where her mouth is before you stop doing the counseling though. I guess just be a little careful until she really shows you she's back. Smart move on continuing the counseling. I smiled at this as well and am happy for you!

sounds like a big step in the right direction, very glad to hear it.

square, there's lots of casual, sort of glib discussion of your private life in this thread....I just want to step back and commend you for how you're trying to deal with this. taking the step of going to see a therapist on your own was hugh IMO (don't think it's a coincidence things started to thaw last night), and took a lot of balls. a lot of men would have handled all that much differently, to who knows what effect on the marriage. hats off.

Square, I read every page and I'm liking the ending so far, so I would like to offer up an idea, because I'm going to do the same thing myself. Now, my marriage is just fine, but I want my wife to know that I have never had one second thought about my life with her and the kids. I'm going to go and buy some cheap little ring.....set up a baby sitter and a date night.....and I'm going to "pop the question" again......"Honey, will you marry me again" I personally believe there is a very strong reinforcing power to a act like that and it shows your deep affection and commitment to her-here's hoping for a bright future with your little lady and daughter :wacko:

Best Wishes-The Captain

For our 18th, Ms Cid and I decided to give each other new wedding bands. We went and picked them out for each other. Something a little more ornate than the plain gold bands we had but nothing stupid expensive like the platinum bands all the jewelers were trying to foist on us. Just being able to reaffirm the fact that yeah, I still do live you goes a real long way in a realationship.

I suspect that your wife will absolutely love this.

Square, that is great news. Every step forward is a step in the right direction. They may not be large ones but they will still get you to where your going if you take enough of them. Press on.

Great news indeed! :wacko:

Although yours is/was a specific problem, many relationships lose their luster after time. Sometimes the most simple acts of affection can mean the world in a relationship. I had this problem before the alcohol became the real problem. I did exactly as I said in my previous post and it worked wonders. Maybe even do the opposite and have her sit in your lap. Then you can talk about the next thing that pops up. :D

I have to go to a jobsite pretty soon, but the short story is this. My wife went out for drinks with the other social workers last night because one of the girls is moving out of state and it was her last day (she had a whole 2 beers). Anyway, she came home and kissed me like, well like I have been kissed in awhile. She hugged me, starting crying and saying she was sorry, that she loved me, and that she'll do whatever it takes. We put the kid to bed and talked for a good hour or so. Everything isn't perfect but it is MUCH better than before. She actually talked about being angry about the way I acted towards the miscarriage (she wasn't blaming me, just that she held on to some stuff longer than she should have). She missed being closer to me (the dating thing) and that she couldn't picture raising our child if we weren't together. She was angry at herself, ashamed, and scared that this kind of thing could happen. She isn't thrilled to go to counseling but she definitely will. At this point I think its non-negotiable. I might just have her go talk to someone solo for a time or two before we actually have a session together. So, it was a pretty big step last night. I'd like to thank everyone for the help/opinion/2cents. I just needed to hear some opinions and I didn't really feel like talking to everyone we went to high school about losing the child and the difficulties afterword. Thanks fellas (and ladies).. you rock :wacko:

Congrats Square!

Fantastic news and a step in the right direction! I am very happy for you and your family . .